Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things

The pictures below may look meaningless but are monumental to me.  I was really sleepy on Friday morning (11/04).  After I set out morning snack for Andy and went upstairs to nurse Daniel, I soon drifted off to a 20-minute nap.   40 minutes later Andy called from downstairs: "mama guess what I did?"  I smelt trouble.  I heard him running around downstairs and wondered before dozing off.  "Just a minute I'm changing Daniel."  "I'll just tell you what I did then.  I cleaned up the table and the play room!"  When I saw the cleaned-up areas I couldn't believe my eyes.  He really cleaned up.  The dining table was full of books, color pencils, and flashcards we made before (which he moved to a corner of the room neatly stacked) and the floor was full of this unfinished mosaic monkey project of hundreds of pieces (which he moved all the bits onto the couch).  I was completely surprised.  Not only for how nice of a job he did but more because I didn't say a thing about clean up!  Later in the evening when he showed Matthew all this, Matthew asked why he cleaned up.  Andy said because it was messy.  The boy is growing up faster than I know.





We made pancakes together on Sunday morning.  I was having fun with it so asked Andy to put 2 regular raisins for eyes and one golden raisin for nose declaring it a "piggy pancake" (I thought of the  "piggy sandwich" we made before).  I was munching on one while making more and a big raisin fell out of mine, so I gave it to Andy (he loves all kinds of fresh/dried fruits).  Andy looked puzzled "Do you not like raisins?"  I said I like it but I love you so I saved it for you.  A few minutes later, Andy came back to the stove and hold out one raisin and said it was for me.  Totally unexpected, I asked "what's the matter, don't you like raisins anymore?"  He answered "I like it but I love you."  I asked again "are you sure this is for me?"  He insisted.  I was touched.  Children learn compassion by example.

1 comment:

Contributors