Wednesday, November 28, 2007

LR's Google Working Days

11/27 Tuesday
I sent off mom to the airport this morning. Mom has been so helpful. She babysat, and cooked and cleaned when she's not babysitting. She'd go to sleep early to volunteer the night shift: taking Andy when he's still fussing way past midnight and stay up until 3 at times. She didn't just come to see the kid but really came to do everything to help. Instead of losing privacy, she gave me more personal time. And having the time to talk to her (we both seem to be better tempered now) and seeing her so happy was priceless. I've never seen her sing so much. She brought a sweater she knitted for Andy which reminds me of old days when she knitted for us. She made me a breastfeeding apron when we saw Shelly had one.

I was so dead tired that it was back to sleep after airport. Andy and I went back and forth between nursing and sleep that we didn't get into work until close to 11! My officemates are awesome and Andy behaved well (slept initially). With Andy at work, it's a bit tough to get things done, but it's so nice to have him right by me so I don't wonder what he is doing now and can feed him any time.

I feel guilty for being sensitive to any noise he makes and wanting him to be quiet all the time. I used to talk him more, play music, and walk and hold him more. Now I appreciate the luxury of maternity leave more. Oh well, this is still so much better than daycare. We went to the Snuggler class at lunch hour. There he had his lung relief too; I encouraged him to make all the sound he wanted since there are 10 other babies louder. He fussed all afternoon that I had to call Joe to come early to take him home. Hopefully we do better tomorrow.

Jenn's husband dropped off their 5mo old Caleb around 6 to go workout across street. Joe did the same. It worked out quite well, Andy got to eat and meet Caleb. Picture here.

Andy was very good to mommy tonight (put him to sleep by 12), must know that mom needs to go to work on a more regular time tomorrow.

11/28 Wednesday
I discovered one sound Andy makes regularly sounds exactly like this new word "Urlaub" we learned in German class tonight. Maybe I played the Rosetta language learning program too much while pregnant that he is exposed to the language already eh?

11/29 Thursday
I decided to resume our good old walking time at work, so we went for a lunch walk. He felt a bit heavier in the sling after not walking him for a week!

11/30 Friday
I breast fed through the night without any formula supplement for the first time. Now I learned how tough it is to breast feed -- it is more than a full time job. He slept around 12 then I was up at 2:30, 5, 6:30, each time close to an hour at least. It was hard staying awake during the day, but I'm just so glad to know I can be not so dependent on formula now.

I got sprayed on for the first time this morning (and in the office)! I quickly covered the hose with a new diaper so he ended up getting the back of his undershirt wet. I took Ann's suggestion to get some pictures of Andy at my office. My officemates had fun posing him and he ended up holding on tight to the USB end of the mouse for the next half hour. He was a darling this morning, eyes wide open but quiet for the most part.

We went to pick up my dad at the airport lunch time. Mom and dad are taking turn using up the reminder of their vacation on babysitting. I felt bad having to give dad a 20 minutes crash course on baby stuff and the place before running off. But they managed for the next 4 hours. Dad even took him for a walk exploring the neighborhood.

I'm pretty unproductive at work this week, but I think it's getting a little better each day and I'm more at ease with him there. I think I agree with this Zurich Googler researcher I met at the SigIR conference last year that having the baby with you can actually make you more productive than the daycare.

Pictures here.

Observations about week 7:
- He's got stronger grip now and grab onto things much tighter. It can hurt when he grabs me or my hair now (trimming his nails helped a little).
- He got on a better schedule (so far). I try to go to bed before 9 and just nurse and play with him until he falls asleep. The trick seems to be getting him to sleep in the reclining nursing position. He's been going to sleep before 1am now, and waking up once or so before 8am (though I still have to get up twice to pump).
- He's accustomed to the car seat now. He doesn't cry at all now; he used to scream and fight so hard getting strapped into it.

No comments:

Contributors